Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Review: The Selection (The Selection #1)

Author: Kiera Cass

Genre: Romance, YA, Fantasy

Pages: 327

Date of Release: April 24th, 2012

Publisher: HarperTeen

Rating: 7/10


Summary: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined. -http://www.kieracass.com/

Review: This book is placed in the future, far away from the year 2012. Well, that's what I got from this book. There was a lot of stuff about China and Russia and America being defeated of some sort, so I gathered that it is set in the future. Obviously, America hasn't bowed down to China... yet. Just kidding:)

First off, the characters are very well developed. I loved learning about America Singer and the world she she lived in. I loved her stubborn attitude. It was amazing. It's in the future, but has all the fun of kings, queens, princes and of course, princesses. That is a wonderful combo. Wait, is it just me or does everyone else notice most of new YA books are set in the future? I guess no one likes the present right now.

SPOILER ALERT!

Aspen really confused me. He really was in love with America, but he kept pressuring her into the Selection. He was happy for her. Then America makes this wonderful picnic and Aspen's man pride comes out and he sayd that he should be providing for her. That ends with him leaving their secret hideout and America crushed and hopeless. After, America is Selected. When America is leaving she sees Aspen with another girl (what is wrong with you, Aspen?). Two minutes later, he is rushing up to America but she is whisked away. Near the ending the book, he becomes a officer for the palace and starts going after America.

Everytime I think I got him pegged down, he just has to do something else.

Prince Maxon was adorable. What prince isn't? Messy blond hair and brown eyes. Like summerime as America puts it. He comes off as a formal prince, that at glance may make him seem shallow. But as the story progresses, he is just another awkward, shy, cute, funny guy who hasn't been around girls. In the beginning, America is like, "No way am I falling for a dude like him." She is totally wrong. You can see that her feelings become different over time towards Maxon. And Maxon is totally head over heels for her!

The one thing that erks me though is when Aspen comes in between them. I do not what America was thinking! Why would she let Maxon let Aspen gaurd during the night? Isn't America trying to get over him? America starts breaking the rules and hooks up with Aspen many times!! Why? And poor Prince Maxon just sits there and does nothing. Mind you, he know nothing. Even the maids, don't they suspect something? Erg. At least in the end, she tells Aspen that she loves Maxon too.  

I adored America's little sister, May. Actually I liked her whole family. Her mom probably acted like any other mother would in this situation. I could believe that my little sisters would be teasing me about Prince Maxon. It was just really believeable.

The plot... I don't really see a plot. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed this book, but I just didn't get the plot. In my English class we learned that the plot is what comes after the rising action and it comes after the falling action. But there so many things going on I couldn't pinpoint the plot. Oh, this book reminded me of a reality TV show! Something like The Bachelor. I only watched two episodes of that show, so I can't know for sure. I enjoyed the caste system. All royal families are One's, Two's, Three's and Four's are all celebrities or famous or the regular middle class of today. The Five's. Six's, Seven's and Eight's starve most of the time are small-class entertainers, servents or just crimimals. Kind of like how The Hunger Games.

America Singer is a 5, guess what she is? Hint: it's in her last name. Aspen is a 6, he is a servent. That's why he feels bad, when America brings food for him.

The book ended with the BIGGEST cliffhanger ever. Good thing there is a second book coming out. What is the title or when is it coming out? I do not know, but when I do, I will post it.



   "America?"
   I turned at the sound of my name. Maxon was jogging
down the hall toward me.
   I felt like I was seeing him for the first time.
   He had his suit coat off, and the sleeves were rolled up on
his white shirt. His blue tie was loosened at the neck, and
his hair that was always slicked back was bouncing around a
bit as he moved. In stark contrast to the person in uniform
yesterday, he looked more boyish, more real.

                                     -The Selection, pg.224








No comments:

Post a Comment